Blue Sulphur Springs Pavilion
This pavilion built in 1834 is all that’s left of a formerly large resort, located in the middle of a farm field in the hills of West Virginia. The site originally included a sizable hotel and several other buildings, but was burned in 1864 by Union troops during the Civil War and never rebuilt. The pavilion, which housed a mineral spring touted for its medicinal qualities, was all that survived the fire, and is now on the National Register of Historic Places.
An 1857 sketch of the original resort layout follows as well, note the pavilion located on the left side of the drawing.